Friday

What's Wrong With California's Gas?

Last summer we moved from the North Shore of Oahu to San Diego. We shipped two vehicles a van and a Lexus RX 330.

Last year, two families who are good friends of ours also moved to California and they also shipped two vehicles each.

I used to get around 380 miles per tank. 16 or so gallons, 23-24 miles per gallon. As soon as I started filling up my tank here my mileage dropped about 25%. I now get about 300 miles per tank 18-19 miles per gallon.

I don't drive too much, maybe an average of a tank a week. Very conservatively, I'm paying about $12 a week more - about $600 more a year, could be a $1,000. My wife has experienced the same drop off in mileage so for our family, we are spending probably about $1,500 - $2.000 more a year on gas here based on the same price per gallon, just more because the gas here in California is less efficient than the blend they sell in Hawaii. The same thing has happened to our friends who moved their vehicles here as well.

If I were not lazy, I'd figure out the next question - why am I getting 25% less mileage in California than Hawaii? I am definitely driving on the freeway more here so all things equal, I should get better mileage.

I know that the formulation of gas here is meant to lessen pollution. But, if the gas is anything less than 25% less polluting, I am actually creating more pollution driving with the gas that is meant to cause less pollution.

Are you following me?

The INTENTION of California trying to create less pollution by using a different formulated gas, MIGHT BE CREATING MORE POLLUTION AND COSTING ALL OF US A HECK OF A LOT MORE MONEY. I guess I should skip the ALL CAPS until I know the answer to the efficiency question but right now, I am going to guess the math does not work - (my conservative instincts.)

This gas thing seems wasteful, best intentioned, poorly executed and something that should be an easy measurement and an easy fix.

Anyone out there know what the scoop is?

No comments: