Sunday

I love it that President Obama golfs a lot.

I love it that our President Obama golfs a lot.

The fact that President Obama plays and loves the game I love makes me proud to be a golfer.

When I get a chance to play I play on San Diego courses, I pay $30 at Coronado, $29 at Balboa, $42 at Torrey Pines and $25 at some other courses. If I play twilight, I can pay less than $20 and often get in 18 holes. I always walk, so I do not pay cart fees.

The idea that golfers are all rich, country clubbers is one the most ignorant stereotypes that exist in the USA. I meet varied denizens of San Diego every color, creed, gender, sexual preference and income. I've made really good friends with people I have met on the course that I do other things with. I've met people who I enjoy golfing with because they share my love of the game, but off the course they are jerks and I'll have nothing to do with them.

Golf is a great physical challenge, it is hard to play well. Golf is decent exercise if you walk. Here in San Diego, golf is a beautiful experience, some times spiritual - Torrey Pines at sunset for example. For me, it is a contemplative, competitive, thought provoking sport/game/hobby/passion.

I think golf helps our President mentally. I am all for him playing as often as he can. My dream would be to join him, kick his butt and collect a few skins in the process.

No comments: